The JUST DEMOCRACY COALITION is a new informal alliance of organizations, groups and individuals in and around Tompkins County, NY. We are organizing ourselves to do everything we can to stop an illegitimate power grab by the Trump administration. We see nonviolence as the effective strategy that will enable us to connect broadly with all who share our concern for protecting democracy – so that we can continue to work on transforming it.
WHY WE NEED TO ORGANIZE NOW
“We have a president who has openly said he might not respect the outcome of our election. We have to be ready if he claims victory before votes are counted, tries to stop counting, or refuses to accept a loss.” – The Washington Post, July 19, 2020
Stealing the election by any of these means is a coup, a power grab, a violation of the democratic process. Trump’s violations of power and law throughout the country has made this potential coup possible. The suppression and criminalization of protest, the deployment of unidentified troops accountable only to himself, the deliberate creation of chaos and violence, and the use of propaganda and outright lies that the Trump Administration has engaged in are just a few of numerous examples of abuse of power. This is unacceptable.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1) JOIN THIS COALITION
You can be part of the Coalition by signing the Tompkins Area Online Pledge to Choose Democracy. As signers we agree that:
1. We will vote.
2. We will refuse to accept election results until all the votes are counted.
3. We will nonviolently take to the streets if a coup is attempted (or support those that do.)
4. If we need to, we will shut down this country to protect the integrity of the democratic process.
2) JOIN OUR NEXT COALITION ZOOM MEETING
Wednesday, Nov 4, 7PM. Join the conversation and hear about actions being planned locally. You can join a team to help plan events, become a trained peacekeeper, get your organization to sign on to the Choose Democracy pledge, help with social media, lead us in songs and chants, make beautiful banners and signs… whatever your skills, there’s a way you can help. To register for this meeting and get the Zoom Link, click HERE
3) SIGN UP FOR ACTION ALERTS FROM CHOOSEDEMOCRACY.US
Text CHOOSE to 50409 to be linked to national organizing efforts, and to receive a call to action the moment a coup is declared.
4) RALLY THIS SATURDAY TO PROTECT THE RESULTS AND BUILD A BETTER DEMOCRACY!
Whatever the election results so far, let’s come together in a massive show of Peaceful People-Power on Saturday, November 7 at 1 PM at the Bernie Milton pavilion on the Ithaca Commons. We will gather in solidarity to demand that every citizen’s vote be counted, and that there will be a peaceful transfer of power. Register HERE.
5) LEARN THESE SIMPLE NEW SONGS by the Peace Poets— and get ready to share our people power, love and positivity at upcoming events!
MORE ABOUT THE JUST DEMOCRACY COALITION – TOMPKINS AREA
- Build connections and collaborations among diverse groups and organizations with a shared commitment to stopping an attempted coup and building a more just democracy
- Enable fast and flexible responses to changing situations
- Organize events, actions, persuasion campaigns, and gatherings both in person and online
- Build a collective culture of effective, discipline
- Encourage preparation and planning for rolling strikes, general strike, or other forms of widespread noncompliance with illegitimate authority, if necessary
WHAT WE ARE DOING
- Building a database of people in and around Tompkins County who want to be informed of actions (in person and online) that are happening around this year’s election and the aftermath
- Sharing the Choose Democracy Pledge and encouraging organizations, elected officials, faith groups, and others to sign on
- Encouraging everyone to lean on elected officials to demand that every vote be counted
- Sending timely emails to our members to keep you informed of actions you can take from home and on the street
In solidarity and joy!
The JUST DEMOCRACY COALITION -TOMPKINS AREA team